Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

The Influence We Imitate

With Tik Tok taking the world by storm many teens find themselves longing for a false reality within the makeup realm of social media.

Since 2016, TikTok has taken the world by storm, becoming one of the most popular social media platforms among teenagers. With its short-form videos, catchy music, and engaging content, TikTok has become a powerful tool for influencers to promote makeup products to the younger generation. 

The influence of TikTok on teenagers’ beauty routines has been significant. The platform has become a hub for beauty gurus and makeup enthusiasts, who share their latest makeup looks, product reviews, and tutorials with their followers. As a result, many teenagers have been swayed by the trends and fads promoted on the platform, purchasing products that promise to deliver the same flawless looks they see on their favorite influencers. Many of the looks promoted on TikTok require significant time, effort, and products, which can be difficult for teenagers to replicate on their own. This can lead to feelings of inadequacy and low self-esteem, which can have a lasting impact on their mental health.

Moreover, the makeup products promoted on TikTok are often unregulated, meaning that their quality and safety cannot be guaranteed. Many teenagers have fallen ]victim to misleading advertisements, purchasing products that may be harmful to their skin or health. 

Despite these concerns, TikTok has also given a platform to underrepresented communities, such as people of color and the LGBTQ+ community, to showcase their talents and promote inclusivity in the beauty industry. This has led to a more diverse and representative range of beauty products being promoted on the platform, which is a step in the right direction for the industry.

TikTok has had a significant impact on the way teenagers approach makeup and beauty. While the platform can be a fun and creative outlet for self-expression, it is important for young people to be mindful of the potential negative effects it can have on their self-esteem and mental health.