Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Snowy Sunshine State

All of SLO County admired the beauty of its first snowfall in over 30 years on Friday, February 24, 2023. Snow covered the town leaving students, parents, teachers, and residents surrounded with a beautiful, new, and fresh landscape. The snowfall occurred at night, roughly around 10:00 and continued throughout the night into the morning. 

The night of the event, twenty to thirty students decided the best course of action would be to participate in a massive snowball fight. “We were driving around and heard it was super snowy in Santa Margarita, when we got to the offramp of the highway leading into Santa Margarita there were probably 20 or 30 kids messing around with the snow and throwing it at each other,” Senior Erin Murphy said.

Photo Creds: Adane Siegrist

Blast From the Past:

Teacher of Honors Precalculus, Algebra 2, and AVID Ted Wagner recalls the last major snowstorm in the area back in 1988. 

“It’s 1988, I was a junior at Atascadero High School. And I looked out the window along with a bunch of other kids. We were in second period French, and it started snowing. The teacher let us go outside, and there was all this snow coming down. Well, eventually that day they sent us home. It was the day before we were supposed to get out for winter break.  And so I had this big essay due for US History the next day and I was wondering what was going to happen. So there was snow all over the ground. They closed the schools down the next day because there was too much snow people couldn’t get around. And so I didn’t have to actually turn the essay in which was really cool because there was no Google Classroom it had to be turned in by hand. So anyway, we got a free day on that Friday, right before winter break to play in the snow and we did that! People were sledding everywhere and snowball fights and  building snowmen and everything because there was all kinds of snow all over the place!

Ted Wagner

Snaps of the Snow: