Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Student Review: Elective Avenue

Open slots for classes on your schedule next year? Allow me to present four diverse electives at the school that may be a right fit for you. With registration on the horizon, I know all you Bearcats are curious as to what variety of electives are offered on campus. 

BearkittensDevelopmental Psychology in Children (DE)
Child Development (DE)
Careers in Education (DE)
Practicum in Education and Training (DE)
Click HereCulinaryCulinary Arts 1 /Culinary Arts 2
Click HereWeldingAgriculture Welding 1 (DE)/
Agriculture Welding 2 (DE)
Agriculture Welding 3 (DE)/
Agriculture Welding 4
Click HerePeer CommunicationsPeer Communications
Click Here
Previous
Next

Bearkittens

On Mondays, Tuesdays, and Fridays, students find themselves in the preschool where they are actively engaged with children ranging in age from two to five. Students will find themselves playing games, reading books, participating in experiments, and bonding with both bear kittens and teachers alike.

“I think students should consider taking the Bearkittens elective because children encourage you to use your imagination and it’s awesome to watch them grow and become unique individuals,” said Junior Kacie Callahan.

A variety of skill sets are acquired from taking the class, such as communication, creativity, language, leadership, and patience.Classwork is not just spending time with the bear kittens, but additionally doing work in the classrooms. Bearkittens is the perfect elective for someone who loves to spend time with kids and learn more about them.

“I think it just opens peoples eyes to something that’s a lot more than what it seems. From the outside it looks like ‘Oh, it’s just like daycare, but it’s really not.”

Lucy Pritchard 12

Tweet

Culinary

Culinary Arts is a class that not only teaches students the fundamentals of cooking, but also helps build important skills. The class takes up two periods of a students’ schedule and requires them to go off campus to a separate building.

“It provides you with the skills you need for a culinary career,  and additionally teaches you how to run a kitchen, time management, and working with others,” said Junior Logan Carr. 

Culinary is not an easy class, there are many aspects to running a kitchen and it is easy to lose composure quickly. While in the kitchen, students are constantly working and are susceptible to stress. While it is difficult at times, the class is still full of activities any with a love for food or cooking will enjoy. From making banana bread from scratch to making four entrees in twenty minutes, culinary may be the perfect elective for anyone learning or pursuing cooking.

Welding

If you’re more interested in The PRHS Ag Department, welding is one of the most outstanding agriculture electives. Welding teaches Bearcats the fundamentals of the art throughout its 4 offered programs. “You learn the basics in Welding one, and I recommend that class because it’s a lot of fun and it lets you know if you want to actually keep going with it,” Junior Landon Rivers said.

From stick welding to building barbecues, the welding program can benefit beginners and intermediate welders. A fun class that can be pursued after school as a career, Welding could be the elective path for any bearcat.

Peer Communications

Interested in learning about the mind and making the world a better place? Peer Communications may be right down your alley. “Peer Communications is a class where we learn a lot about the mind and how it works. We learn about how traumas affect people as they grow up and how we can respond to certain situations and get out of toxic ones,” Senior Kaila Jones. 

Peer Communications does a variety of activities and teaches students how to properly handle serious situations. For example, students will be assigned partners, where one student gives a scenario and the other student who is acting as a peer communicator must talk the student through the situation and boost their spirits. If helping people and making campus more safe and friendly, consider peer communications on your elective sheet.