Music: A Modern Form of Therapeutic Entertainment

The Epithany

A constant throughout all forms of  history, music has been a staple. From classical works of music in the 18th century with artists such as Ludwig van Beethoven and Ludwig van Beethoven today’s hits from Taylor Swift, The Weeknd, Drake, and more. 

According to Nielson, a global leader in audio insights, data, and analytics with accurate measurements of what people listen to and watch, 93% of the U.S. population listens to music; moreover, spending 25 hours a week with their ears in the tunes. Although music can be used for entertainment, medical research showed it’s a viable means of therapeutic resources that can help improve one’s mood.

“For me lyrics really matter to me and what music to Iisten to, that’s why I think I like in certain types of music as opposed to others.”

Alyssa Wesley
Sophmore

The Messages
Within

To students at PRHS the message within the song can provide a therapeutic sensation to people in need.

According to research conducted by Elizabeth Scott, an award-winning blogger on stress management, positive psychology, relationships, and emotional wellbeing, “The uplifting sound of music and the positive or cathartic messages that can be conveyed in the lyrics can all be routes to a new mental state as well.” 

In other words, to improve your mental state from sad to content, the lyrics of the music elevate one’s mood to a better state of mind. 

“ For my lyrics really matter to me and what music Iisten to, that’s why I think I like certain types of music as opposed to others.” Alyssa Wesley, sophomore, said.

“It (listening to music) helped me with my mood.”

Omar Acevedo
Senior

The Beats Carry On

Not only does music bring emotional therapy but also brings soothing sensations to improve concentration and thinking on the go. 

“Music with a strong beat can stimulate brain waves to resonate in sync with the beat, with faster beats bringing sharper concentration and more alert thinking, and a slower tempo promoting a calm, meditative state,” according to research conducted by Elizabeth Scott. 

“It (listening to music) helped me with my mood,” said senior Omar Acevedo.