Risky Roads

Risky+Roads

The recent of many storms to sweep through California brought many routes, and roads, that Bearcats use non operational, what to expect going forward

A pineapple express that has been building off the coast of California hit the Central Coast this past week, leaving many transportation routes closed due to dangerous weather conditions. Paso high students and staff were unable to take roads to get home or around the county. 

The road closures included River Road, Airport road, South El Pomar, Penman Springs, Vaquero road, Salinas Avenue, Peach Canyon Road, Vineyard Drive,  and the 13th street bridge.

On Monday,  Jan. 9 2023 PRJUSD issued that school was going to close early due to the extreme weather conditions however the abrupt closing left many routes closed off, leaving limited ways to go home.The worry that road closures would prevent students from safely traveling home if they waited until the usual 2:40 release time.

The road closures included River Road, Airport road, South El Pomar, Penman Springs, Vaquero road, Salinas Avenue, Peach Canyon Road, Vineyard Drive, and the 13th street bridge.

“The biggest difference between the two commutes(going to Paso vs. going back to SLO) was seeing the water levels impact surrounding homes and landscapes,” Seth Draine, PRHS history teacher, stated about the commute from San Luis Obispo to Paso Robles. “Seeing families being rescued from their homes by boat in South Atascadero was something that I never thought I would see in our county.”

Draine, along with other PRJUSD teachers, travels from around the county to PRHS-  making the road closures obstacles in being safe while traveling. Going over the San Luis Obispo grade Draine, with his other carpool companions, thought it was surreal. 

There was lots of water moving throughout the lanes and mud was flowing onto the highway,” he said.“(But) we took it slow and made it over

Seth Draine

“My road just to get onto the freeway was flooded… and my car is way too small to travel in that much water.”
Morgan Meidam
Senior

Certain students who live more rurally around the county have been affected as well. Morgan Meidam, a senior, was unable to leave her house due to her roadways being blocked with too much water.

Meidam was unable to come to school the week of Jan. 9 2023 because of the flooding and road closures.

Junior Kellen Scharlotta was unable to get home due to extreme flooding on Geneseo, just outside of Paso Robles. 

The water was too high for my car to make it through both roads leading to my house had a river going across it. I had to leave my car in town so that it would not get flooded

Kellen Scharlotta

As of Jan. 14 2023, the road closures still in effect are River Road, Airport road, South El Pomar, Penman Springs, Vaquero road, Salinas Avenue, Peach Canyon Road, and Vineyard Drive although as the storm progresses through California road openings and closing are changing continuously. 

Images provided by: Carter Blaufuss, Jasmine Rosales, and Mckenna Howenstine