Nolan’s News

Nolans+News

Finally Finals… Finally

Another day in Bearcat country, and I stay unimpressed, unfazed, unimportant. It seems the stale taste in the air is on account of a number of tests that determine students’ futures. The huge, elephant-sized burden on every student’s back makes a glum scene in Paso Robles High School. I however am stress free: I find myself mocking the rest of the student body, seeing as I have but two finals.

I asked a fellow student about their current stress level, Tiffany Robles (12), she said “Finals got me questioning my college applications,” with which I sympathized.

I too began to second guess the fortitude and efficacy of my applications. My entire GPA was hinging on a mere 50 questions in my English class.

Although my grades don’t reflect that I am a perfect student, I see myself as a friend of the average teacher.

I approached one of my friends and spoke on the subject of stress. My English teacher, Ms. Talbert (AP Literature), She provided insight, one of my finals lay ahead in her class. I asked why those students with a better grade did not have to take her final, to which she responded, “The students who have proven efficiency in the assessment category throughout the semester don’t need to take a cumulative test.”

This made sense to me, though I was a touch disgruntled. I understood I was not smart enough to skip a test that tests whether you’ve done well on tests. Now, having finished my first semester at this establishment, I can look back in pride at the mediocre work I have done.