Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Schwartzenberger: Leaping Into a Career in Theater

by Cadence Eastep, Reporter

If you had met Leah Schwartzenberger as a freshman back in Fall of 2018, you wouldn’t recognize her. Once a quiet 14 -year-old entering the intimidating world of  high school, she is now leaving as an Honors/AP student with an aspiration of becoming an actor and a 4.5 GPA. Theater teacher Marcy Goodnow, who has taught Schwartzenberger for all of her four years at PRHS, recognizes her as  brave, creative, and talented, and she has gained some of these characteristics over her years as a high school student. 

Under her belt is four years of theater – Acting I, II, III, IV, and a role as student director this year. She’s also been dancing her entire life, starting when she was three, and competing when she was four. She’s pirouetted through two years of Advanced Dance – plus a third year as a beginning dance teachers’ assistant All of this she plans to take with her towards a career in acting and Cuesta College classes after graduation – not Cal Poly like she initially planned. 

I’ve always been really good at the academics, and I’ve always been a dancer, but I always dreamed of being an actor and then just being able to do it in high school and really grow in that aspect has been something that I really love and I’m super proud of.

Leah Schwartzenberger, 12

This year, Schwartzenberger took on a huge role as the student director of the childrens’ play, Alice in Wonderland, put on by Acting II. Typically directed by Marcy Goodnow, the show has historically been a childrens’ musical, with it being Willy Wonka Jr. in February of 2020. The show was put on soon before the school shut down due to Covid-19. Goodnow has loved having Schwartzenberger by her side this year, and she has seen a lot of change and growth in her since she was a freshman. 

“I guess I’ve just seen her choose to be brave. Like, when she was younger, she was just really quiet. She’s quiet, but she’s intentional. She takes chances,” Goodnow remarked, “And that’s where I’ve seen the most growth –  she just decided, I’m not gonna let fear hold me back; let me see what I can do.” 

Schwartzenberger has loved the experience as well. Being the first ever student director for Acting II is something she’s enjoyed, and seeing the flip side of theater has been really enriching for her. 

After graduation caps fly, Schwartzenberger will finally begin this new part of her life as an actor. She’ll chaine turn into classes, workshops, and training for her acting and dance skills. Behind her will be her experiences at PRHS, and ahead of her will be a life following her dreams of continuing to perform on the stage.