Women’s March 2022

Senior Jocelyn, Junior Israel Perez, and Melissa Gonzalez attending the women’s march with posters supporting the movement.

During women’s month San Luis Obispo hosts an annual women’s march to rally for equal rights.

San Luis Obispo county embarked on their 6th annual Women’s March,Mar. 5, 2022 at Mitchell Park.  A Women’s March is put on every year to raise awareness about issues women are dealing with and giving people an outlet to make change. However, the Women’s March doesn’t only involve issues with the gender gap, but discrimination in a mutilitude of forms. 

“Nobody’s free until everybody’s free,” Frannie Lou. This is a motto the Women’s March Movement adheres to, as a part of their morals and fight. The movement includes: valuing and aiding immigrants, reforming the justice system to work for everyone, preserving and strengthening democracy, high education for all, equal rights for all (including BIPOC and LGBTQIA+), and more. (according to the SLO county Women’s March website)

Yessenia Echevarria and her daughter on the stage sharing her speech.

Speaker, Yessenia Echevarria can attest to these values as her experience as a Latina has led her to take on opportunities to aid people of color through Mujeres de Acción and Paso’s People Action. Echevarria is the creative director of both organizations, where she tries to maintain the same message, “Amplifying the voices of the marginalized,” (Echevarria). 

In her speech she says it’s important to, “Find the things that you’re passionate about and advocate for them. Everyone has a different story and experience in life. I know my identity as a Latina, which is why I advocate so hard for the Hispanic community.” 

This year we had one of our own fellow bearcats speak at the rally, sophomore and Equality Club president, Eve Barajas. Barajas earlier this year hosted the “Coming Out Against Hate Forum” and was a part of the committee working with the board to further aid LGBTQIA+ students. Their speech addressed the idea, “that change is definitely possible no matter who you are across to people. Usually people like to assume that because they’re ‘just’ a student or ‘just’ a ‘regular’ person that they can’t have an impact on the world or their environment. People can raise their voices and make it known that intolerance and hate are both unacceptable.”. 

Barajas believes that the school can help aid students by, “… being open about the resources they provide for women in crisis (someone who experienced sexual assault, for example), and including discussion on women’s rights and our places in history in our education. There are also the basic necessities, such as proper education about our bodies and keeping our supply of sanitary products filled in the restrooms” 

Near the end of her speech Bajaras called up fellow speakers at the “Coming Out Against Hate Forum” Nicole Rogers, Israel Perez, and Emily Neri, and acknowledged their aid in the Equality club’s fight as well.