Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Bearcats recall Governor Newsom

Mandatory Credit: Photo by Denis Poroy/AP/REX/Shutterstock (9437148al) Democratic gubernatorial candidate Gavin Newsom speaks during an interview before a town hall meeting at the 2018 California Democrats State Convention, in San Diego California Democrats, San Diego, USA – 24 Feb 2018

Nearly 150 PRHS students participated in a survey asking how they would vote in the Governor Newsom recall election, the results did not align with those of the California voters.

A survey was shared on Sep. 12 with PRHS students asking them about their awareness of Newsom’s potential recall and whether they think the governor should remain in office. Of the 146 students who participated, 12 students said they were unaware of the recall entirely, 38 were somewhat aware, and 96 students were fully aware of the recall.

54% of students who participated said they would choose to recall Governor Newsom. 30% of the voters were against Newsom’s recall, and the remaining 15% were indifferent. While 22 students declared themselves unaware, 44 students said they were opposed to recalling the governor, and that he should remain in office. 

Senior Clara Lundy was ready to see Newsom out of office. Lundy described Newsom as a bad example to his constituents, she especially criticized his covid response legislation.

“The way he’s run the state during COVID, he shut down a bunch of different sports, clubs, and events when COVID first happened, and yet he still went out and did all these things,” Lundy said, alluding to his dinner at the restaurant, French Laundry after enacting a shutdown that had made the gathering illegal. “He’s not doing the greatest at this, and he’s been here for too long.” 

Junior Mars Gunderson opposed the recall. Gunderson explained that she felt Newsom shouldn’t be facing recall, though he is not her favorite candidate.

“I am personally against this recall election because of COVID-19. Newsom has been in charge since the pandemic started and has a good idea of what to do in this situation compared to the other candidates,” Gunderson said. “I also see it as a waste of time to recall someone when their term ends in less than a year. I don’t personally like Gavin Newsom but compared to the other candidates running and the way he’s handled Californian’s lives he is the better option.” 

In hopes of informing and enlightening students on the recall, Civics and Government teacher Geoffrey Land held discussions about the recall in his classes, having 113 of his students participate in a voluntary vote on how they would vote in the recall. Of those who participated, a total of 65 students said they were pro-recall, and 49 said they were against the recall. 

Differing from the votes of students at PRHS, on September 14, California residents voted to keep Governor Newsom in office. 62% of voters voted against Newsom being removed from office with only 38% voting in favor of the recall. These results will be certified on October 22.

Attempts to recall governors in California are common as there have been 179 recall attempts in the state since 1913. Newsom is only the second governor in US history to survive recall. 

“Democracy is not a football, you don’t throw it around. It’s more like — I don’t know — an antique vase,” Newsom said after defeating recall. “You can drop it, smash it into a million different pieces — and that’s what we’re capable of doing if we don’t stand up to meet the moment and push back.”

Survey taken by 146 students