Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Skills USA 2021 – on to state!

7 Skills USA competitors, in order from left to right: Aurora Ruiz, Esther Felix, Vanessa Espinoza, Jenny Ayala, Presley Bodenshot, Hannah Chambers, Jaiden Anguiano.

15 students competed in 5 different competitions at this year’s Skills USA

The medals earned for each contestant have been revealed and all Paso Robles High School contestants, consisting only of female competitors this year, move on to the state competitions.

Medals earned by Skills USA contestants

In an email sent to Career and Technical Education students and staff, Deputy Superintendent Jennifer Gaviola praised the contestants for their performance.

“The SkillsUSA results are in and the Bearcats did a phenomenal job! Thank you for your continued dedication to our students and career technical education! I am so proud of all of you, and our students! On to State! Let’s go Bearcats!!!” Gaviola stated.

This year’s Skills USA competitions were held throughout the week of Jan. 18 at Paso Robles High School. Coronavirus restrictions meant that all 15 competitors wore masks at the event and had their sessions recorded instead of being judged in person by Skills USA officials.

The 5 categories of competition and the students that participated are as follows: Jenna Tatman, Isabella Saconi, Alejandra Ruiz and Maria Santiago competed in early childhood education; Jenny Ayala and Tegan Henretty in job interview; Hannah Chambers, Presley Bodenshot, Jaiden Anguiano, Esther Felix, Vanessa Espinoza and Aurora Ruiz in career pathway showcase human services; Madison Tosti in job demonstration A; Ceci Martinez and Malia Gaviola in speech.

Seniors Hannah Chambers (left), Presley Bodenshot (middle) and Jaiden Anguiano showcase a slide of their presentation for Career Pathway Showcase Human Services.
Seniors Aurora Ruiz (left, Esther Felix (middle), and Vanessa Espinoza showcase their presentation in Career Pathway Showcase Human Services.

[cbtabs][cbtab title=”Early Childhood Education”]Contestants demonstrate their knowledge of developmentally appropriate practice and their ability to prepare and implement learning activities for children three to five years old. Contestants will prepare a written lesson plan and take a written test assessing their knowledge of child development and effective teaching strategies. They will demonstrate their understanding of the unique age-related learning characteristics of young children and the relevant social interactions as they implement the lesson.[/cbtab][cbtab title=”Job Interview”]This contest is divided into three phases: completion of employment applications; preliminary interviews with receptionist; and, in-depth interviews. Contestants are evaluated on their understanding of employment procedures faced in applying for positions in the occupational areas in which they are training.[/cbtab][cbtab title=”Career Pathways Showcase”]Student teams use their course of study as the basis of a project that will benefit their class, school, community or industry. The project must highlight an aspect of their career cluster training. Upon completion of the project, the students will develop a display and use it within the community to explain their training and project. This contest will judge mastery of their training, its application, the project’s benefit to their community, and display and presentation techniques.[/cbtab][cbtab title=”Job Demonstration A”]Contestants demonstrate and explain an entry-level skill used in the occupational area for which they are training. Competitors in Job Skill A must demonstrate a career objective in an occupational area that is included in one of the contest areas of the SkillsUSA Championships.[/cbtab][cbtab title=”Speech”]This contest requires students to deliver a five- to seven-minute speech on a common theme established by SkillsUSA for the current school year. Contestants are evaluated on their ability to present thoughts relating to the central theme clearly and effectively, and are rated on voice, mechanics, and platform deportment.[/cbtab][/cbtabs]

Junior Jenna Tatman stands in the Bearkitten preschool classroom where she used the children’s novel “Grumpy Monkey” in her competition in early childhood education.

Junior Jenna Tatman commented on the fact that students were able to comptete this year despite Coronavirus restrictions.

“Even though we were able to compete this year, it felt very different. I’m really excited to have had the opportunity to complete this year because we worked really hard to build our skills and our knowledge in early childhood education.” Tatman stated, referring to herself and the three other students who competed in that same category.

The absence of in-person judging was the main difference in this year’s competitions from previous ones. Senior Aurora Ruiz spoke on the unique feeling of competing in front of a camera.

Senior Aurora Ruiz, wearing the red Skills USA jacket she wore when she competed in Career Pathway Showcase Human Services.

“My experience this year was skills was very memorable since all of us competed virtually through a camera. I still felt the same emotions as I do when I’m being judged in person, however, a mix of nervousness, passion, and excitement. I’m glad I got to compete this year because I got to be apart of this new experience of virtual competition.” Ruiz stated.

Results of judging will be included in this story as soon as they are available.

[button color=”white” size=”normal” alignment=”center” rel=”follow” openin=”samewindow” url=”www.crimsonnewsmagazine.org”]Back to Crimson[/button]