Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Bearcats Remember Kobe

All over the world, people mourned the loss of an international hero.

The news of the helicopter that crashed carrying Kobe and Gianna Bryant and seven other victims shocked fans all around the world on the morning of Sunday January 26, 2020. The unexpected loss of the retired NBA superstar and his daughter stunned fans all around the world. Beginning almost immediately after the crash, the mourning began. Social media and news sites were flooded with tributes to Kobe and everyone who was lost in the accident by noon that same day. Celebrities remembered Kobe by posting tributes to both him and Gianna on their social media pages. The victims were also remembered by celebrities such as Alicia Keys, Lizzo, and Boyz II Men at the 2020 Grammy’s award show, held at Kobe’s very own Staples Center. Kobe is also being remembered here in Paso Robles by students who were inspired by his incredible talent and his love for his family.

PRHS students were asked why Kobe is an inspiration to them:

“Kobe was an inspiration to basketball players around the world everyone wanted to be just like him. Every time someone shot a basketball or even just threw a piece of trash away they would yell “Kobe” just so they could experience his greatness. Kobe was my idol, I started playing basketball because of him. I, just like the basketball world, want to play like him and would base their game off of his. His passing was such a tragic moment not only for the basketball community but also for the world. Kobe was one of the greatest as well as a great father. It’s sad to see another legend die young. Rest easy Kobe. Mamba 4 life.” –Adrian Swindig (left)

“Kobe Bryant inspired many people in many ways. I was fortunate to grow up watching him and learned many things from him. He was unforgettable. Though I never met him, he has and always will make an impact on my life. I feel like her personally taught me so much as a person and a player. His wise ways of simply living, moved so many people and that is something no one can replace. We truly lost a legend but we have to trust that he’s in a better place now.” –Jacey Loewen (middle)