WELCOME BACK TO THE GHOULISH FAMILY

America’s iconic family of spooks debuts in theatres this Halloween season.

The classic Addams family came back to theaters for Halloween, bringing Paso Families into theaters to experience the nostalgia of the previous TV series that has been loved by families across america. This time, Metro Goldwyn Mayer puts their own spin on the Addams, primarily displaying themes such as accepting people for who they are as well as the importance of family and making sure to look out for one another, along with the pressure parents put on children to succeed. I found the jokes to be hilarious throughout the film, and definitely recommend that families go to theaters to revisit America’s most comically frightening family. Directors Conrad Vernon and Greg Tiernan made sure not to forget hilarious pop culture references to Mr. Rodger’s neighborhood and Battleship, as well as movies such as It and Frankenstein. The movie even satirizes Starbucks coffee, joking about how complicated the items on the menu are. 

BOO!: Gomez(left) is the father of the Addams family, voiced by Oscar Isaac(middle left).

Actor Finn Wolfhard(Right) voices Pugsley, the son and explosives expert of the

Addams family.

The film follows the story of the Addams family, a peculiar family seen as outcasts and monsters to society. The family was forced out of their homeland and Morticia and Gomez Addams, the parents of the family, are in search of a new home when they stumble on an old Asylum. In the classic ghoulish style, the Addams find it disgusting and repulsive, which is their equivalent to beauty, and make it their home. Several years pass, Morticia and Gomez have kids of their own, Wednesday and Pugsley, when an interior designer by the name of Margaux develops a town named Assimilation, displaying her idea of a perfect society where everyone is the same. But what she doesn’t know is that the Addams have their atrocious manor overlooking the town, which would make it difficult to sell the houses of the town. As the movie progresses, Wednesday, the Addams’ daughter, begins to act out defiantly against her mother as any typical teen, and Margaux attempts to destroy the manor calling it “design intervention” in place of divine intervention, a witty twist of words that the writers used to display Margaux’ thoughts of being a higher power ruling over the town. As the movie comes to a close, the nostalgic theme song of the 90’s TV series sings to the audience, with families in the theater snapping their fingers along to the iconic melody that everyone knows and loves. 

AAAH!: Morticia Addams(Left) is voiced by Charlize Theron(Middle left).

Wednesday Addams(Middle right) is voiced by Chloë Grace Moretz. Wednesday and Morticia

have mother-daughter issues through the entirety of the movie, with Wednesday trying to act out to get her mother’s attention.