Misunderstandings, mobs, racial tensions: lunchtime fight

A physical altercation occurred on Wednesday, Sept. 18, 2019 between a group of students and an individual. This scuffle follows a prior incident from Tuesday, in which an altercation occurred due to the usage of a racial slur at lunch. Wednesday’s fight was a continuation of Tuesday’s altercation. This fight was broken up within ten minutes by nearby staff.

However, throughout the fight students encircled and engaged with it, leading to complicating with staff intervention in the altercation and creating a hazard to other students due to the sheer number of students spectating and/or stirring up trouble. Police were called in following the fight in order to break up the large mob of students and ensure they did not become full-fledged safety hazards.

During the last fifteen minutes of lunch, intercom and circulating adults asked students to go to their fifth period classes early in order to prevent further altercations and break up the mob. While most students did as instructed, a large group of students moved from nearby the Gil Asa gym to the 100s building. This group of students was met by police officers and a few of which were detained for questioning before being released.

A student of African American descent was allegedly one of the first students detained according to some spectators, which enraged many in the crowd, who interpreted the moment as racially triggered. Many students began chanting expletives at the cops. According to school officials, this police action was not a racially instigated incident and the unnamed student in question has allegedly tried to quell the rumour that it was.

The only injuries were minor ones sustained due to the mob of spectators rather than the fight itself, according to administrators.