Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Silver athlete: Nathan Garcia

Nathan “Chochy” Garcia pins down his high school highlights

Testing the limits of one’s own abilities are not foreign to Nathan “Chochy” Garcia, and even before high school, he has been doing just that. Garcia started to wrestle at the age of four and no more than two years later started playing football.

“I started wrestling because my dad was a coach and football because I used to go watch my older brothers games and it looked like a fun sport so when I was old enough to play, I did,” Garcia stated.

As for a favorite accomplishment, “When I was a freshman, I won CIF. I was the first freshman to do it in all the years of Paso wrestling. And this last year placing third at masters was a big win for me, competing with the top kids in the state, because I took my sophomore year and junior year off from wrestling,” Garcia said.

Making history has been a trend for Garcia, and one he wishes to continue in a patriotic way after high school.

“I’m planning on trying to become a firefighter or go into the marines,” Garcia said.  

As for what was throughout his high school career two great seasons of wrestling and four of football, the encouragement he needed wasn’t far from home. “My mom and my coaches, they are always supportive even when I’m not competing and they always push me to do the last rep and let me know that what I put into this sport is what I’m going to get out of it.”