Bradford retires after 27 years

Bradford retires after 27 years

History teacher Mark Bradford is planning to retire at the close of this year.

As the plain white door creaks open, one entering Mark Bradford’s history classroom at lunchtime would be greeted by a mellow light, several students chatting as they eat and discuss anything from history assignments to how their day is going in the calm atmosphere. One would then see a figure reclining in an armchair by his desk and contentedly having a bite to eat, that being Bradford, PRHS’ 27-year history teacher, who said he decided it was time to retire on his own merits.

Bradford is concluding his multi-decade career of teaching history with a reputation for being a teacher who challenges students to think critically as well as asking thought-provoking questions relating to how history impacts the America we call home today.

Despite being primarily known for being a history teacher, Bradford has more to offer than Modern World History and AP European History, the two history classes he currently teaches. Bradford is also the president of the teachers’ union, meaning he is responsible for both his students and fellow union members.

He also seems to value his students’ learning experience in his class. When asked about his favorite part of teaching, Bradford responded, “When students learn to think critically… and to appreciate knowledge and how they can use that knowledge.”

Bradford also stated that he’d miss “working with students and colleagues,” and that it was difficult for him to imagine being at the time of his life where he’s retiring.

Grant Komm, a sophomore in Bradford’s AP European History course, offered his thoughts on his history teacher’s retirement. “I like the way he teaches; he makes it easy to learn. … I’m sad that he’s retiring, but he’s been teaching for more years than anybody in this school. He was a student here, remember. I think it’s well deserved.”

“I just felt like it was time,” Bradford succinctly stated of his decision to retire.