Gold athlete: Brooke Milder

Senior Brooke Milder completes a career in two varsity sports

As a freshman, Brooke Milder wanted to make her high school career great. From trying out for volleyball and softball to taking Honors classes, she lay the foundation for a memorable four years. Now a senior, Milder is leaving PRHS as ASB Vice President, being a member of JOOI club, the Superintendent Advisory Committee, youth commission and GEO.

Softball has been the main focus of Milder’s future since the age of six. From the ages of six to ten she played in recreation leagues in Paso Robles and playing on competitive Club leagues. Currently Milder is on a club team from Stockton, California, the 18u Batbusters team.  

As the 2018-2019 Varsity Softball team captain, she led the team to CIF semifinals and through a season with a 10-2 league record.

“This season really shows the perseverance and the passion this team has for the game, being on a team where all the girls feel the same way about it and are dedicated to each other has been great to end my senior campaign,” Milder said.

Milder has played 77 games her four years on varsity with a batting average of .370. Over her senior year she has had 102 plate appearances and 32 hits. On the field, she mainly plays shortstop, a defensive position regarded as one of the most difficult positions as more balls get hit there than any other position.

“Brooke has grown over the years in her leadership, she has always been a main leader on our team, but especially this year, she has always found a way to get our team motivated,” junior Becca Stroud said, who plays both softball and volleyball with Milder.

In addition to softball, Milder has played volleyball since seventh grade, including her last four years at PRHS. Being a setter, she has played a total of 138 sets with 1069 assists over her varsity career. Adding to Milder’s record are 60 aces, which is when a player serves the ball and the opposing team is unable to pass it, and 39 kills over the last two years.

Moving forward, Milder has signed to Seattle University which is currently having a record breaking season having won its first-ever Division I NCAA Tournament and becoming the first softball program at the school to win an NCAA Tournament game since 2015.

“Playing softball at the Division 1 level was a goal I set for myself years ago. I absolutely love everything about the game and I wanted to be able to be able to play at the highest level” Milder said.  

While Milder attends Seattle University she will be pursuing a career in the medical field.

Milder practices for the PRHS varsity softball team after school for two hours adding to her Club practices every other Sunday in Stockton, California. Over the summer, the club practices increase to once a week with tournaments every weekend and some lasting a week long in states such as Georgia and Florida and up and down the state from Huntington Beach to Stockton.

“I’ve made so many friends, so many connections, and so many memories that have really improved my high school experience tremendously, it’s just the fun. We have practice every day and that’s fun for me. It’s made my high school experience so much better” said Milder.

These teams have helped Milder throughout high school, teaching her leadership, hard work and the determination to push through setbacks.

“She has made an impact on my life by being a role model for me on and off the field. She is the epitome of a hard worker and it paid off for her,” Stroud said.

As Milder comes to the last weeks of her senior year, she leaves behind the legacy of a dual sport career and a lasting effect on the leadership of PRHS.

“Being dedicated to something and staying dedicated has helped me in most aspects of high school,” Milder said.