Carroll named Teacher of the Year

Nominated by teachers for his dedication and hard work, Matthew Carroll has been awarded Teacher of the Year for 2019

Matthew Carroll, who has taught for seven years, was awarded teacher of the year on Mar. 28, 2019. Senior night for Track and Field was interrupted by a flood of cheering teachers, students, and parents bestowed him with a crown and embracing him with hugs.

“It was very humbling,” Carroll said. “I believed there was so many deserving people, so I was pretty shocked when I heard I had won.”

Nominees this year for the Teacher of the Year Award included teachers below.

Growing up at PRHS himself and graduating in the class of 2005, Carroll had wanted to be a psychologist or college football coach as his future career. However, inspired by his teachers in high school, his passion for reading and writing led him to where he is now.

Carroll now teaches the Newcomers English class, Peer Communication, and co-taught 9th grade English.

Senior Kendall Caruana

“He’s a great person all around and a great person to go to when you need something. He’s always there for you and a safe spot on campus,” said Kendall Caruana, who runs for Carroll’s track team.

Teaching 170 students spread across five classes, Carroll leads his students to success via humor and reaching them on a personal level.

I hope I also taught them to use the problem solving motto I always use: ‘Figure it out,’” Carroll stated.

As he continues to motivate and inspire his students, he hopes that he can teach students that life is hard, but the challenge is fun.Carroll was celebrated with other district end-of-year awards May 7, 2019.

He began teaching at PRHS in 2013.