Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

Overton Hits the Ground Running

Overton Hits the Ground Running

Former teacher, track coach, and assistant cross-country coach Anthony Overton is announced as the new principal

[dropcap size=small]O[/dropcap]n March 12 it was announced that Assistant Principal Anthony Overton would take the helm as principal following Eric Martinez’s March 1 resignation.

Overton is Cal Poly graduate and has been a staff member for almost a decade. Prior to his one year stint as Assistant Principal, he was the head track and field and assistant country coach and former AP Chemistry teacher.

“From the beginning, I jumped into [my job] with both feet and haven’t stopped since.” said Overton, as he recalled his first year working at the high school.

“[Since then] I have had the pleasure of working with the fantastic faculty, staff, and students for the last nine years from the classroom to student activities to coaching.  It never ceases to amaze me what the Bearcats are capable of accomplishing when we focus our efforts, commit to the greater good, and persevere through challenges,” he added.

Overton outlined three specific goals which he wanted to achieve during his tenure.

Firstly, he expressed a desire to change the methods and ensure that staff, students, and parents are on the same page when it comes to important school matters such as the school firearm threat from late February 2019.

Principal Anthony Overton

“Far too often I feel like people have incorrect information or are left in the dark left only to fill in the story themselves,” he commented.

Secondly, he wants to ensure that students are having their social, emotional, and academic needs met claiming that “students’ needs are changing, and we need to change with them.”

Lastly, Overton seeks to take measures to ensure that each and every student is given the tools and preparation to succeed following graduation.

“I want to empower everyone on campus to use their time to maximize their potential. Each student only has four short years with us at PRHS, and I want to make sure that each student utilizes that time to prepare themselves for their future best self,” said Overton.