Board approves class after initial scrutiny

Board passes 7-0 ‘Short Story and Popular Novel’ class

[dropcap size=small]O[/dropcap]ver two classes of soon-to-be seniors had their preferred English course reinstated after a January controversy tabled their preferred choice. Teacher Matt Carroll spearheaded the effort to have the course reconsidered. 

Specifically, a January board meeting blocked the proposed course by a majority vote. The course worried board members about its content, specifically the expectation for students to interpret literature containing both Marxist and feminist literary theory.  

The new school board members being sworn in

In November, the English Department released a survey asking whether or not students would be interested in a new ‘Short Story and Popular Novel’ course that would allow interpretation of literature through multiple perspectives. Nearly 400 of the students surveyed claimed to be interested. 

In response to this feedback, the department immediately began curating a curriculum that would fit both state and college standards alongside student expectations.

On Thursday, Feb. 7, Carroll met with board members and other district staff to discuss and clarify the class curriculum and the intentions of the class. The meeting was a friendly affair and the parties involved left with greater understanding of the matter.

At a board meeting on Feb. 12 the class was reinstated after 7-0 vote in favor of the class was passed.