Striving for the banners

Exhibitors from ages 9-19 strive to earn the champion’s banners at the California Mid State Fair

For the agricultural community of San Luis Obispo county, the local California Mid State Fair is one of the greatest opportunities for kids to showcase their animals. Kids from all over SLO County and farther come to the California Mid State Fair to show their animals, displaying that they have properly raised, fed, and worked with their animals to prepare them for the fair. The exhibitors range from ages 9-19 and include a va

riety of animals. Over 800 animals were exhibited, including hogs, different beef projects, lambs, goats, turkeys, rabbits, and chickens.

“The best part about showing an animal at fair is it teaches you responsibility and you get to meet so many great new people. I think I’ve benefited from it by not only from the money, but from all the new skills and things that it takes to show an animal at the fair,” Said Loryn Boggs, a second year FFA member who shows hogs.

Exhibitors come from 4-H and FFA programs where kids are taught how to properly raise the animals: giving them baths, feeding them, and most importantly caring for them overall. It’s important for the kids to keep the animals happy and in the end, most of the exhibitors have fun and become companions with the animal. Programs like 4-H and FFA teach kids how to be responsible, and how to be leaders. They help mold kids into good leaders for the future and show them how important agriculture is in the world. They are taught to be hard workers and how to put effort into everything they do.

“I show market lambs and it’s hard at times, but totally worth it. I work with my lambs about 21 hours a week and more the closer we get to fair. It’s definitely taught me the importance of responsibility, time management and how to budget money wisely,” said Jordan Mendez, a second year in Paso Robles FFA.

At the end of the fair, the market animals are auctioned to local buyers for meat and the exhibitors receive a paycheck, but it’s not just about the money for most kids.

“What showing means to me is having a companion next to you that helps you succeed in whatever you do. FFA has taught me to push myself to the end and realizing that hard work always pays off,” said Jory De Santos talking about what FFA has done for him. “My main goal when I take my lamb to the fair is trying my best in every aspect and being a leader for kids that want to show possibly in the future.”

The best part about showing animals is seeing all your hard work pay off, and there’s nothing more rewarding than doing well with your animal.

[envira-gallery id=”32264″]