The legend of Memo

Making the most of his high school experience, Guillermo Rendon takes an amusing outlook on his time at PRHS.

Guillermo Rendon preforms a scene in The Orphan Train from the 2017 fall semester production. Rendon has been a part of the PRHS drama department for 4 years.

There once was a boy who found himself in the mysterious yet, potent halls of PRHS four years ago as an outgoing freshman scouring the halls for what is to come. Senior Guillermo Rendon, known as “Memo” by most PRHS students, has grown his confidence and made his spotlight on campus not only on the stage.  Through his witty humor and bright spirit illuminates to all around him.

Rendon is a four year centerpiece of PRHS drama after six appearances and repeated testimonies of his silly unifying role in the drama family. He closes his time directing beginning drama one-acts and becoming the reigning school wide champion of Poetry Out Loud.

Resighting and looking over a poem hundreds of times, Rendon challenged himself to take his artistry from his drama experience to Poetry Out loud.

“I started to look within myself to see what I can bring to the poem and ended up very much relating to the phone it was a poem about a guy who falls for girls without even trying it just happens and and I think that love is something very important so I was able to find it within me to do the poem,” said Rendon.

With his charm that he brought to the table, wooing the crowd with is elegant ways of words, Rendon placed first in PRHS’ school competition.

“I was able to go to county where I met a bunch of bright minded individuals who had amazing poems, special poems to them, and was able to talk with them about poetry. Sadly I did not place at the county competition but I wouldn’t have traded the experience for the world,” exclaimed Rendon.

Through his time at PRHS, Rendon has built lifelong friendships.

“I have been lucky enough to be friends all for years with Mems. He has the biggest heart, he will never admit it, but he truly loves his friends and will do anything for them. He is absolutely mind blowing talented in everything. He’s a genius lyricist and a fantastic actor. He has inspired me throughout the years with his passion and drive” said,Senior Kaitlin Pressley, his four year friend that met Rendon in beginning drama class freshman year.

Rendon has been heavily involved through his four years at PRHS with the drama department with six shows under his belt. Displaying his dazzling talent to the community of Paso on and off stage, Rendon is also involved with PRHS’ Technical Theatre. Performing in The Music Man, Alice in Wonderland, The Drowsy Chaperone, The Orphan Train, The Little Mermaid, Peter and the Starcatcher, and for his final production the left stage director for The Sound of Music.

“This school’s drama department put me in a mindset that I can do anything I want in life. It gave me a confidence to have my voice heard and take any opportunity I can. I also learned to understand those around me and try to relate to them, even embody them, and that’s something that I never knew I would need, but it has made me feel more complete as a person and I’ve found out a lot about myself through this,” said Rendon.

With his mastery of the theatre, Rendon has had an opportunity to direct a freshman one-act. Since the beginning of January, Rendon has been working hard putting together the one-act called Homeschooled that consists of 12 beginning drama students.

“The experience to direct a one-act has been something that I would have never expected to be. Being someone who took directions from Goodnow all through high school it was really weird to have to put my own vision and to use all of the skills that she had taught me inadvertently through just putting me through the process with my own children. I didn’t know that younger kids could put down so much work that that is senior gave them I’m barely any older than most of these kids and and they look up to me” exclaimed Rendon

Rendon took four AP classes to end his high school academics.

“I don’t know if there was a single class period all year long that Guillermo didn’t make better by being there.  He’s super smart. Also, he’s infectiously kind, relentlessly positive, and devastatingly funny. Basically, he’s the perfect student to have in class.  My only challenge with him was figuring out that his nickname is not pronounced MEE Moe but Mim oe,” said AP literature teacher, Aaron Cantrell.

You can find him cruising through the halls of PRHS, with his lifelong friends by his side, probably up to some antics.

Rendon uses his skills to covey his character in The Orphan Train. Rendon has been apart of advanced drama at PRHS for three years.

“My friends are everything. My friends gave me things to look forward to, reasons to be as happy as I am, all of the support in the world, and are just generally stupendous people. I’ve known most of these guys since middle school, we grew up together. I would take a bullet for them, no hesitation” Rendon stated.

As his high school time comes to a close, Rendon beams about his positive feelings towards his PRHS experience.

“My high school career has been nothing but a highlight reel full of all sorts of shenanigans. I couldn’t have asked for a better experience,” explained Rendon joyfully.

Rendon will be attending Cuesta Community College this fall with a plan to get enough credits to transfer in three semesters. He can continue to study to become a forensic psychologist.

“My greatest advice to current and future bearcats is to be sure to slow down and take it all in. You don’t have a lot of time here and it can be everything you want it to be with enough attention,” stated Rendon.

Boom. Mic drop. Curtains fall. The legend Memo has left the stage.