Pushing positive for four years

Senior Madecyn Penn has lit up the PRHS campus since day one.

There once lived a musical talent, who was loved in all the lands.  Madecyn Penn, loving and bubbly, is usually shocking the audience of PRHS with her amazing acting skills. From a shy girl, Penn has bloomed into sophistication and her drama skills did also.  Penn is a lively spirit, loved by many, that brings light to the musical stage according to many of her friends. Making many new and awesome memories each and everyday, Penn loves coming to school to see her friends in the drama department.

“I love walking into the drama room and seeing my friends or walking out to the quad at lunch. I feel like PRHS has a student base that has so much energy and spirit and being able to walk on campus and be in an environment that is full of positive energy is such a cool thing,” Penn said.  

She loves the theater and it’s almost as if it is her second home . Seeing the people she loves each and everyday, Penn is happy to have a welcoming environment and feel supported.

“The Drama department is my home because of the people. It’s a place where I can be myself. The people make it such a welcoming environment and Goodnow makes it a place that I can always rely on,” Penn said.

One of Penn’s most influential people in her life is Drama teacher Marcy Goodnow. From her freshman to her senior year, Goodnow has believed in Penn from the very start. Being in nine productions throughout her high school career, Penn has showed so much passion for what she does in theater. With a positive and lightening attitude, she could simply do anything she could think of.

I believe that Madecyn brings sunshine to our school. She is happy, self motivated, smart, thoughtful, and extremely talented,” Goodnow said.

Madecyn Penn is getting ready for her wedding day in a scene for the Sound of Music. This is one of the nine productions Penn has been in throughout her years.

The drama department is a place where Penn could be herself and feel loved in such a kind atmosphere. According to Penn, the drama departement is home because of the people who have made her four years truly amazing. It’s a learning space where she could learn new things about acting or even herself.

“She is great to be around and work with as an actor, student, and student director. She is also a really humble actor, and I really feel this is why her peers look up to her. Madecyn has been in 9 productions here at PRHS since her freshman year,” Goodnow said.

Penn has had a busy high school career from drama productions to clubs and to sports. Penn played volleyball for three years, and received the Lions Club Award for being her positive self and always encouraging others. Her teammates could always count on Penn to keep everyone’s spirit’s up.

Penn is also involved in four clubs and balancing that with being the secretary for JOOI club and the Vice President for Choir. Even with a full schedule, Penn always manages to make time for her friends while having a good time. Meeting many people through the drama department, Penn has come especially close to Brooke Bigelow. Bigelow is a close friend of Penn’s and truly one of her role models. Being a grade level lower, Junior Bigelow is so happy she made a friend like Penn. Sad to see her go, Bigelow is still so fond and proud of Penn of making it to CSU Long Beach.

“[Penn] is kind and talented and goofy and brave and so much more. She is not only one of my best friends, but also my role model and everything I want to be. She has a heart of gold and I hope that I can grow up to be half the person she is,” Bigelow said.