Teacher Meets The King at Wave Park

Mr. Wilson spent the day with professional surfers while attending the Kelly Slater Co. Surf Ranch in Lemoore.

Driving to what seemed the middle of nowhere, hearing the man-made wave crashing and fans screaming, thinking of the impressive maneuver the surfer must have made to cause this uproar exited Mr. Wilson, who attended the Surf Ranch on May 5th and 6th.

Spanish and art teacher Kiley Wilson drove to the seeming middle of nowhere and heard made wade waves and screaming fans exciting uproar to Mr. Wilson surf’s avidly and was able to attend Kelly Slater’s famous surf Ranch, a destination that many seek in the surf industry, on May 5-6, 2018.

When Kelly Slater, 11 time world champion initiated  the Surf Ranch in Lemoore,CA in September, World Surf League surfers flocked to the dreamy,  green, man made waves. The wave is roughly 1,800 ft. long and tub

es are made to be roughly a minute- which is longer than the typical ten second ride nature would grant.

Wilson, attended the very first public event that the Surf Ranch put on, with tickets selling out almost immediately. He met Slater who is now considered the GOAT, or the Greatest Of All Time, clearly an impressive feat himself in the sport of surfing.

Mr.Wilson attended the event with his wife Clarissa,who also teaches art at PRHS.He has been surfing since he was eleven years old. Although Wilson did not ride these famous waves, he enjoyed cheering from the sidelines.

Wilson was able to see the current world champion, John John Florence at the exhibition, which was not run as a competition among the riders. 

“I really hoped they were not just arrogant jerks. Luckily they were super cool and friendly.I always wanted to go to a pro event and to meet the pros in person was a sense of accomplishment because we actually made it happen,” said Wilson. “It was a privilege and historic to go to the first ever public event.”

Slater’s event was not cheap. One day cost $99 VIPs paid over $500  for food, drink, premiere seating and parking. For “The Surf Ranch Experience,” surfers paid nearly $10,000 for a one-

hour surf session on the Monday following the event.