Book review: Everything Everything

Love is worth the pain in Nicola Yoon’s new novel

The 2015 novel Everything Everything, by Nicola Yoon, is a heartfelt, coming of age story about a young woman finding her independence.
Madeline is a very sheltered girl who is often stuck inside her “bubble” of a house due to her disease and ultimately under-socialized because of the fact that Madeline struggles with a condition known as SCID, which is Severe Combined Immunodeficiency that limits her interactions. Her condition restricts her social circle to her nurse and mother, until a new family moves in next door. Despite her limitations, the boy next door, Olly, quickly makes contact through email and window notes. Soon, she gradually turns into the average eighteen year old with a teen romance on her mind and arguing with her mom over seeing a boy.

Yoon’s writing style is very conservative and innocent early on in the novel, but evolves into more daring, outspoken, and confident voice that develops along with the main character.
The author gets readers to feel like they can relate to Madeline, the main character, through mainstream teen trials. In this contempt of the cliche teen romance, readers cannot help but become involved. Readers will quickly become absorbed in this fast paced novel wondering what will happen with her and Olly, along with where her new found confidence will take her.

SPOILER ALERT:

All of the conflicts and great memories that make Madeline’s story is ultimately to get one point,

”Love is worth everything,everything”

across. Every moment, risk and struggle is a small price to pay to experience love.

It is no small secret that love comes with a price, but Madeline is granted the gift few teenagers have: true love. Readers are taken through the emotions of her romance experiences such as her head over heels first kiss to her first time. Continuously leading readers to conclude that love is not just a price:it is everything.
Everything Everything will be released as a major motion picture, on May 19, 2017.