Stunt Wins CIF
Stunt Wins CIF
May 8, 2024

ACT-ing To Make a Change

ACT club president spearheads campus change

Every Wednesday at 8:00 a.m. Senior Melissa Gonzalez is planning ways to bring our campus together. As the president of the Activist Coalition for Tomorrow club (ACT) she has been leading events that promote diversity, equity, and inclusivity. 

“Our goal is to make it normal to celebrate different cultures and to spread awareness on the fact that we are trying to eradicate hate in our community,” president Gonzalez said. 

In the first semester the club has put together a lunch event for Hispanic Heritage month, collaborated with Paso Robles ECHO shelter and other activist clubs at PRHS, and is now working to put on a baile in March. The baile’s goal is to show the 51% Hispanic and Latino community at PRHS that they matter and will be celebrated.

“Doing community work not only makes our town better, it shows everyone what compassion is and it’s a good feeling to help other people,” Gonzalez said. 

Doing community work not only makes our town better, it shows everyone what compassion is and it’s a good feeling to help other people

Melissa gonzalez

She is a part of the subcommittee that focuses on motivated hate on campus, but also finds ways to positively impact Paso’s community through her AVID class. Gonzalez has been able to volunteer at her old middle school, Lillian Larson, and help out with their  sports programs. She also volunteers at her church to help them put on events.

“If we did more unity walks and cultural fairs downtown, it would really show our community that we care for them because that is what community service is: letting others know we got them during difficult and unknown times,” Gonzalez declared.

DANCING TO THE NEXT STEPS: Gonzalez and ACT club gathered for their Hispanic Heritage Month lunch event, where the idea for the March Baile began
(Photo by Bricen Chitty.)