Continuing Your Resolutions

The fight against losing steam in 2019

2019 is into full swing. But many “New Year’s Resolutions,” on the other hand, are not. Through the craziness of a new year, schoolwork, and course registration, health can often be waylaid leaving an empty box next to your resolution.

According to the University of Scranton, less than 10% of New Year’s resolutions are actually achieved, and human habits are to blame.

Habits are often hard to break. Resolutions such as eating healthier, texting less, “unplugging,” or exercising more are built around breaking habits. Psychology Today defines a habit as automatic, “conditioned” responses.

“I find the easiest motivation to stay healthy is from recognizing that makes me feel better a whole, even when I got hurt and wasn’t exercising as much I would eat healthier foods,” Grace Anderson, 10, said.

“I would start with something you enjoy, whether it’s walking your dog or playing basketball: something you like, and then build up into more hardcore exercise. If you start with an exercise class and that’s so hard you can’t walk the next morning, you’re less likely to continue,” Lifetime Fitness and Beginning Dance teacher Carra Macomber said.

According to Harvard Medical School, exercises including swimming, tai chi, and walking help keep you in shape as well as improve your balance and lower your risk of heart disease.

“One of my biggest motivations to staying healthy is the way I look towards people especially my family. I use that to make healthy choices and try something new everyday whether its working out or eating more veggies” Angel Fuentes 11 said.

“If you don’t have a friend or family member pushing you, it’s really hard. If you stop being accountable to somebody, you’re gonna fall back into your old ways,” Macomber said.

Exercise is also proven to benefit your mood by increasing your endorphins and energy levels, helping with your skin health, and improving your sleep quality.

“Whether it’s diet or exercise, I think you need to stick to anything for two weeks. That’s the magic number. Those weeks will be hard, but after those two weeks, it becomes a habit and you feel better,” Macomber said.