Lead from the front, back, and anywhere in between

An acknowledgement of leadership’s many forms

The word “leader” tends to have a strong connotation. When asked, most people may cite well known, powerful public figures with large followings. MLK, George Washington, Rosa Parks, and Billie Jean King tend to be popular examples of influential leaders who have incited long lasting change in the world. What isn’t always acknowledged about the term “leader” is that it can be applied to more than those at the front of the pack. A leader isn’t always loud; a leader inspires others to accomplish individual or unified goals. A leader isn’t always popular; sometimes, a leader can be the one to support unpopular opinions or actions. A leader isn’t always remembered; the most impactful changes can be established without recognition or remembrance of who kindled the event.

PRHS is home to a variety of leaders. The campus does have strong, well-known figures who make the school a better place. At the same time, there exist students and staff who have incited campus accomplishments, yet go unnoticed for the deed. Keep in mind, this is not a negative situation. This is a reminder that anyone and any action, big or small, can have a significant influence.

Don’t be afraid to be the one to speak out. Don’t worry about how you will be viewed. If you believe in something, stand up for it. Take the position to share your beliefs with others. PRHS has experienced the impact of leaders both small and large, and either can have the same effect. A simple act of kindness could have as much impact on the campus as a much larger action. A rally for a cause could have as much an impact on the school as a class discussion. No matter what the cause or action is, if one believe in what they advocate for, they have the power to accomplish their goals.

After numerous fights, conflicts, and scares at the end of the 2018 school year’s third quarter, tensions notably rose, making the campus a slightly less cheerful place to be.

What changed this tone drastically was student and staff leadership; events such as Kindness Week, assurance from teachers and admin, and understanding and acceptance between students lead the campus to be a truly better school.

Each factor that bonded the school ranged from a campus-wide event to an exchange between two people. Despite the size of the effort, each positive movement undeniably assisted in rectifying PRHS’s atmosphere.

This is a call not only to have the courage and confidence to lead, but to appreciate leadership in its many forms. Leadership can be expressed in endless ways, places, and times. Do not diminish the small efforts for their size. Do not criticize large movements for being too bold.

As said by author Mark Sanborn, “you don’t need a title to be a leader.” If you have a passion, you have the power to make an impact; take the lead, from the front, back, or anywhere in between.