Choosing Direction

Choosing+Direction

Make your year great with the right attitude

Every year, there are situations that arise in which we either use it to break new records or we break ourselves. It is within our attitudes and outlooks in life how we decide what the challenges will become to us.

There was a point in summer in which everyone returning to school in the fall realized that the marquee had changed from the cheery announcement “Graduation June 15” to the dread inducing “First Day of School August 16.”

As the short eight weeks come to a close, we find ourselves with a chance to rewind the tape, wipe the boards clean and start over. Whether you be an incoming freshman or a member of the class of 2019, your year is what you make it to be.

The attitude you hold towards your high school career will make or break it for you.

If last year was a bust, you have another shot. Every year throws a different challenge in our paths and it is our decision how we choose to deal with it.

An Op-Ed article by Shiv Khera for Pune Mirror recognizes the importance of a positive attitude in the face of hardship.

“When you are faced with a problem, you can either choose to back away, or turn it into a purpose,” Khera wrote.

Work with a purpose this year: make this something worth your time and future instead of just seeing it as four years where you wake up every day and go through the motions. Challenge yourself to become a better person.

The beginning of the year throws surprising and fresh challenges our way and we are expected to deal with them.

An old Indian proverb uncovers the internal conflict between greed and compassion, where a chief teaches his grandson about the battle between the “two wolves.” Curiously, the boy asks “Which wolf will win?” and the answer is whichever he feeds more. In conclusion the tale uncovers the true struggle is within ourselves and if we can conquer that, any difficulties thrown our way will be a piece of cake.

We all have the opportunity to change our old habits and make ourselves into the student, the friend, the athlete, and the bearcat we want to be. A new year isn’t something to dread, it is something to welcome with open arms.

This year, like every other, is the beginning of a new chapter which will set the chapters to follow in place. Be aware of how the present will affect the future.

So take this upcoming year by the horns and steer it in the direction you choose: your attitude will be the best GPS you’ve got.