Top 5 Electives

What are Bearcats’ favorite electives?
Elijah Mayo

Reading the registration book can seem like a task to figure out what classes to take, but even more so with the almost 50 diverse electives on campus to choose from. But, from the persuasion of friends, the liking of teachers, or an interest in a field, students find electives they thoroughly enjoy, so, here are Bearcats’ most wanted and the most taken electives:

#5: Agriculture Welding 1

This Career and Technical Education (CTE) class offers students the exposure to a variety of welding processes with hands-on activities. With no prerequisite required, a lot of Bearcats try to take this class, and this year 115 students are enrolled.

#4: Introduction to Automotive Technology

This school year, Intro to Auto has 117 students enrolled. The class teaches the history of automobiles, how to buy a vehicle, and how to keep the major parts of a car working. There are small labs that the students can indulge in while learning about maintenance and common procedures. This elective also provides college credit.

#3: Spanish 1

Available to all grade levels, Spanish 1 has 120 students enrolled this year. The class introduces students to the cultures of the Spanish-speaking world. Vocabulary, simple pronunciation, and grammar are taught to students and they will learn the basics of talking and writing in Spanish.

#2: Culinary Arts 1

Culinary runs in a double block, or over two periods. The Paso Robles Culinary program simulates a professional kitchen where students get the hands-on experience to learn cooking methods, food chemistry, and sanitation. The class is designed to prepare students for immediate employment after taking the course. The class currently has 179 students enrolled.

#1: Ceramics

At the top elective spot, ceramics has 198 Bearcats enrolled. There is no prerequisite for this class, but it is only offered to 11 and 12 graders. The first semester of the class teaches hand-building techniques and in semester 2 introduces the students to wheel throwing.