New changes head our way

PRHS districts expects shifts in policy, staff, and security.

As a new school year rolls in, as does new policy. Reflective of last year, changes in the day to day lives of students and staff, even minor ones, often cause great uproar. In the 2018-19 school year, these are the policies we expect to arise.

A new Loss of Privilege Act has been established, which is reliant on student attendance and behavior. Information on this act will be shared in class meetings and assemblies as the school year begins.

“Students must put their academics first as we are preparing them for college career and community,” principal Eric Martinez said of the reasoning behind the act’s establishment.

Additionally, an Academic Re-engagement Center will be initiated in order to restore and redirect student behaviors. Certain students may be required to “complete intervention modules, fulfill classes and/or on-campus full day suspensions as part of natural consequences assigned”. The center will be utilized by Assistant Principals along with a new position, Dean of Culture.

Jennifer Dineen has been hired to the position, which entails working with students to provide academic, behavioral, social, and emotional supports that will help re-engage students and match their need with appropriate interventions. Dineen will work with teacher and the student body as a whole to increase the positive culture on campus.

“This position was built to continue in our pursuit and belief that every student will have success,” Martinez explained.

Additional changes to staff include several promotions as Dan Sharon, former assistant principal, has accepted the position as principal at a new alternative education school within the district and Anthony Overton, Leadership and Chemistry teacher, has been promoted to replace Sharon as an assistant principal.

Lastly, added security measures have been put in place. Additional fencing will be installed around the school to secure the campus during the school day, and a Paso police officer will be stationed as a Student Resources Officer on campus to build relationships with students and families in an effort to provide a safe and secure environment.